Monday, August 03, 2009

Only in Israel (there will be a lot with this title, I'm sure)

Some funny occurences last erev Shabbat (Friday afternoon) -

I'm in an American bagel place close to my house. That being said, they still offer salad on your bagel, which would never happen in America, but that is beside the point. The cream cheese is pretty decent too, as long as you don't order lite.

First of all, they let me bring Fiona into the cafe and she lay under my chair while I ate. This is actually pretty common, I'm discovering, in "town" - most places with outdoor eating areas don't even blink at little Ms. 13 inch Fiona with the puppy face and floppy ears (besides coming over and admiring her perhaps). Some places have even brought her water in plastic bowls. It is very nice to bring her with me!

Secondly, I put in an order for a chocolate iced drink (this is my Erev Shabbos treat, after all). When asked for my name, I said "Rachel" (with the "ch" gutteral sound) because hey in Israel, that's normal! When I got my drink, they asked me if I had ordered 2 and I said no.

A few minutes later, another girl walks in and asks for her drink, which isn't ready. Why? She was the second drink. 2 girls, around the same age, same stature, both with the name "Rachel" (gutteral), both ordering the same drink within 5 minutes of each other. The drink guy got confused by the seemingly duplicate reciepts and people!

1 comment:

  1. You have to love these only in Israel stories! Which cafe was it, if I may ask?

    ReplyDelete