Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sweat

I did a lot of mitzvot today. A LOT.

My friend who I stayed with when I arrived in Israel got engaged this past weekend (she started dating him around when I arrived) and I walked to the L'Chaim after work tonight. It was pretty funny, me walking around Meah Shearim with a map - it looked like a lot farther than it was (that was after I found the right address - originally Google Maps tried to send me deep into East Jerusalem and I knew that wasn't right).

Anyway, so I was very proud that I figured out from there how to walk to a close bus. I got to the bus stop and discovered that the two buses that drop me within minutes of the house don't come there, and the ones that do would only take me one stop before I would need to walk the rest of the way. And a cab? That is WAY to American.

So I did what every Israeli would do in that situation. I walked home. By the time I walked home, then went out and walked Fiona and back, I was completely damp. I mean like my shirt was damp to the touch damp (don't worry I'm drinking water as I write this). Needless to say, the shower I took before the vort was useless and I needed to take another one as often happens here in the summertime. Since every 4 steps here is a mitzvah, man did I do a lot!

I learned an important lesson as well - if you want to do a mitzvah, you might have to sweat a bit. Don't worry - it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment